Editor's picks for businesses in Waltham
This is a list of businesses frequented by the editors of the
Waltham Community Web. As you will see, we favor
locally run businesses over mega-chains, but sometimes
there is no choice.
- Food stores
- The best, freshest locally grown produce is available at the
Waltham Farmers Market, but only
on Saturdays from June to October.
- Russo's is really in Watertown, just over the line on River Street,
and has fresh and varied produce from all over the world, all year round.
- Wilson Farms isn't in Waltham either, but in Lexington.
They feature the freshest produce (grown onsite), but slightly higher prices.
- Hannaford Supermarket
is at 836 Main Street (781-893-6776), where Victory Supermarket used to be,
where Shaw's used to be, where the Waltham Supermarket
(see scan of logo from shopping bag)
used to be. The Victory chain was purchased by Hannaford in December of 2004.
Good variety of brands, but the checkout lines are slow in the afternoons. Non-union shop.
- Ethnic - Demos - Good inexpensive Greek cuisine - Lexington and Emerson.
- Italian - It's a tie between Campania Trattoria and Il Capriccio,
both on Main Street, both very expensive,
and both with delicious meals, attentive service, and a selection of the finest wines.
- Pizza - If you like Italian-style thin crust pizza, the best place is
Sabatino's on Prospect Street. Parking is scarce in the area, but they
have free delivery for orders of $10 or more.
- Subs - My current favorite is Lena's Italian Sandwich Shop on Main Street.
- Other businesses
- Bank - Watertown Savings Bank,
9 Lexington Street
- Pharmacy - Johnson Drugs
at 577 Main Street (781-893-3870), betters the drugstore chains with friendly, knowledgeable staff.
- Florist - O'Toole The Florist 290 Lexington Street (781-893-2961)
- Hairdressers - Hollywood Hair (Michelle's Place) at 717 Main Street (781-647-1015)
is not the cheapest place in town, but Michelle and her colleagues do quality work at a reasonable price.
- Hardware - Not long ago there were 11 hardware stores in Waltham.
Now there is Home Depot,
or one of the few local stores in surrounding communities.
- Lawn, garden, and pet supplies - Agway
at 50 Emerson Road (781-894-4880).
- Photo processing - Waltham Camera Exchange, - 781-899-5700, does it all.
Waltham Community home page
Comments and suggestions welcome.
Send email to Scott Shurr at
All rights reserved.
Created: August 2000. Updated: 07 May 2011
...always under construction!